Stercoral colitis refers to a condition where the presence of impacted feces in the colonic lumen is associated with inflammation and distention of the affected colon segment.
It is seen primarily in elderly patients (often bedbound as a consequence of dementia, stroke, or orthopedic surgery). Less frequently, it may also be seen in younger patients who have metabolic, neurologic and/or muscular disorders causing constipation.
Faecaloid formation is predominantly related to chronic constipation which leads to the development of a fecaloma (see article for possible underlying causes), which is a conglomeration of dehydrated fecal material. This causes distention of the colonic lumen and increases the pressure on the wall, which then decreases blood supply.
Typically shows a distended colon filled with feces and associated mural thickening. Other findings include fat stranding, mucosal sloughing, mesenteric hyperemia and extraluminal gas (if complicated by stercoral perforation).
- 1. Cathleen Heffernan, H. Leon Pachter, Alec J. Megibow, Michael Macari. Stercoral Colitis Leading to Fatal Peritonitis: CT Findings. (2012) American Journal of Roentgenology. 184 (4): 1189-93. doi:10.2214/ajr.184.4.01841189 - Pubmed
- 2. Ünal E, Onur MR, Balcı S, Görmez A, Akpınar E, Böge M. Stercoral colitis: diagnostic value of CT findings. (2017) Diagnostic and interventional radiology (Ankara, Turkey). 23 (1): 5-9. doi:10.5152/dir.2016.16002 - Pubmed
- 3. Wu CH, Huang CC, Wang LJ, Wong YC, Wang CJ, Lo WC, Lin BC, Wan YL, Hsueh C. Value of CT in the discrimination of fatal from non-fatal stercoral colitis. (2012) Korean journal of radiology. 13 (3): 283-9. doi:10.3348/kjr.2012.13.3.283 - Pubmed
- 4. Saksonov M, Bachar GN, Morgenstern S, Zeina AR, Vasserman M, Protnoy O, Benjaminov O. Stercoral colitis: a lethal disease-computed tomographic findings and clinical characteristic. (2014) Journal of computer assisted tomography. 38 (5): 721-6. doi:10.1097/RCT.0000000000000117 - Pubmed
- 5. Wu CH, Wang LJ, Wong YC, Huang CC, Chen CC, Wang CJ, Fang JF, Hsueh C. Necrotic stercoral colitis: importance of computed tomography findings. (2011) World journal of gastroenterology. 17 (3): 379-84. doi:10.3748/wjg.v17.i3.379 - Pubmed