Absent ductus venosus, tricuspid regurgitation, cardiomegaly, chorioangioma
20 to 24 weeks detailed obstetric ultrasound. First pregnancy.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
It is estimated that 20–30% of the blood of the umbilical vein enters the ductus venosus and directly reaches the left heart crossing through the foramen ovale. The remaining well-oxygenated blood flowing in the umbilical vein is distributed to the left lobe of the liver through the left portal vein. The portal blood flow is directed almost entirely to the right lobe of the liver. It is well accepted that the ductus venosus plays a major role in the regulation of fetal circulation by modifying the volume of its flow depending on the pressure gradient between the umbilical vein and the heart.
The literature suggests that the absence of the ductus venosus is associated with a high incidence of adverse fetal outcomes
- 1. Yagel S, Kivilevitch Z, Cohen SM et-al. The fetal venous system, part I: normal embryology, anatomy, hemodynamics, ultrasound evaluation and Doppler investigation. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2010;35 (6): 741-50. doi:10.1002/uog.7618 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Staboulidou I, Pereira S, Cruz Jde J et-al. Prevalence and outcome of absence of ductus venosus at 11(+0) to 13(+6) weeks. Fetal. Diagn. Ther. 2011;30 (1): 35-40. doi:10.1159/000323593 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Acherman RJ, Evans WN, Galindo A et-al. Diagnosis of absent ductus venosus in a population referred for fetal echocardiography: association with a persistent portosystemic shunt requiring postnatal device occlusion. J Ultrasound Med. 2007;26 (8): 1077-82. Pubmed citation
- 4. Kurman RJ, Blaustein’s Pathology of the Female Genital Tract. 5th ed. 2002, New York, Springer-Verlag,; 1171-1173
- 5. Benirschke K. Recent trends in chorangiomas, especially those of multiple and recurrent chorangiomas. Pediatr. Dev. Pathol. 1999;2 (3): 264-9. Pubmed citation
- 6. Mancuso A, D'Anna R, Corrado F et-al. Large placental chorioangioma. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2001;80 (10): 965-6. Pubmed citation